Mehamn -Norway deep sea fishing
Take part to a spectacular fishing experience on the crystal blue clear water of the Barents Sea!
Nordkyn is the northernmost point of the European mainland and the nature in the surroundings is spectacular! The fishing camp Nordic Safari, Mehamn, is located only 14 km from Nordkyn.
The deep sea fishing area outside Mehamn is huge and takes part in Barents Sea, very rich in fish. You can also find excellent rivers for salmon fishing and several inland lakes for trout and arctic char fishing.
When visiting Nordic safari during winter you can enjoy snowmobile trails that cross breathtaking panoramas you cannot even imagine. High mountains, deep canyons, and crystal clear blue arctic sea water when driving along the typical Norwegian fjords. At this time of the year you can also go hunting the northern light (aurora borealis)!
As you can see, Mehamn offer lots of activities except fishing.
Bildtext: Code fishing in The Barents Sea, just outside Nordic Safari.
– Luxury accommodation, newly built
– 3 bedrooms/cabin, each with two separate beds, bed linen and towels included
– amazing ocean view from the veranda
– Living room with TV and wireless LAN for Internet connection
– Kitchen with four plates stove, coffee maker, kettle and washing machine
– Deep freezeer
– Bathroom with shower
– 16 beds
– Shared kitchen
There is also a camping available, with all facilities.
Bildtext: The five cabins at Nordic Safari.
For cleaning fish there is a specific house for the purpose. The house offers fresh water and several fish cleaning tables. A deep freezer for storage of the catch is available in each cottage.
Deep sea fishing
Deep sea fishing in Barents Sea offers incredible amounts of fish! The area is still quite unexplored and the pointed out fishing for one specific kind is something completely new here. There are only a few local fishermen in the area; therefore the probability that you will success with your catch is very high. The fishermen reports catches of halibut op to 200 kg! Halibut is common in these waters, and if you go for cod fish, don’t be surprised if your catch includes a halibut as well. Other common fishes here are catfish, tusk, haddock, saithe and plaice.
Vidar and Dan, who runs the camp, are both grown up in Mehamn and know the deep sea fishing very well. They will guide you for great positions when fishing. The Swedish fishing guide John Hedström will also available during your stay. Important to know, fishing in the Barents Sea requires robust, high quality, equipment for deep sea fishing.
Bildtetx: Halibut fishing!
At Nordic Safari, in Mehamn, the following boats are available for rent:
– Hansvik 19 feet boats equipped with 50 HP Yamaha, echo sounder/plotter.
– Dolmöy 23 feet boats equipped with 80 HP Selva, gps/plotter.
The boats are stored in the harbor at Mehamn, well secured for wind.
In case of strong winds from the north the sea can get is rough, the boats can easily be transported to the southern part of the peninsula. This enables fishing even in windy weather!
Alternative fishing – Salmon, trout and artic char
In the area Finnmark and Nordkyn halvöya, just a few kilometers from the camp, there are rivers with excellent opportunities to catch salmon, and hundreds of smaller lakes with fishes such as artic char and trout.
Bildtext: Artic char fishing in one of the many smaller rivers!
Remember to bring your spinning combo or jig rod when going to Mehamn. Many of the waters are untouched and located in a fantastic nature. In addition Mehamn also can offer king crabs, weight up to 8 KG!
Bildtext: King crab!
For further information regarding fishing in this area, please visit Gamvik Jeger og Fiskeförening.
State license for fishing can be arranged at Inatur. The permit does not cost very much.
Guided tours are available!
How to get to Nordic safari, Mehamn
Flights to Mehamn is offered by SAS, the airport is only 1 km from the fishing camp, or if you prefer to go by bus there is an option, Copenhagen-Malmö-Gothenburg-Oslo, bookings at GoByBus.
An alternative way is to take a flight to Luleå, in north Sweden, and from there go by car, approximately 900 km. Cars can be rented at Rent a wreck at the airport in Luleå, and as a guest at Mieko Fishing camps you will be offered a discount.
Accommodation and boat:
– One weeks fishing, 1 – 4 persons: Rorbu cabin and Hansvik 18 feet with Yamaha 4-stroke, 50 HP, GPS/plotter: 21.530 NOK.
Discount: During Mars, April and September 17.225 NOK
For additional guests + 2.960 NOK/guest
– One weeks fishing, 1 – 4 persons: Rorbu cabin and Dolmöy 23 fot with Selva 4-stroke, 80 HP, GPS/plotter: 23.470 NOK. Pris/pers utöver fyra: 2 960 NOK
Discount: During Mars, April and September 18.790 NOK
For additional guests + 2.960 NOK/guest
– One weeks fishing, 2 persons: Room at hostel, boat Hansvik 18 feet with Yamaha 4-stroke, 50 HP, GPS/plotter: 13.025 NOK
– One weeks fishing, 3 persons: Room at hostel, boat Hansvik 18 feet with Yamaha 4-stroke, 50 HP, GPS/plotter: 15 .475 NOK
– One weeks fishing, camping: Bring your own caravanette or caravan. The camp offers electricity, WC/shower, fish cleaning facilities, deep freezer available, drying room for floating suits, Hansvik 18 feet with Yamaha 4-stroke, 50 HP, GPS/plotter: 12.095 NOK
Discount: During April and September 9.900 NOK
– One week – “on ice” – jig fishing, 1-4 persons: Rorbu Cabin and Dolmöy 23 feet with Selva 4-stroke, 80 HP, GPS/plotter: 18 .790 NOK
Special offer, only available Mars and April 2013: Rent for snow mobil will applie, 1.050 NOK/day, ordinary price 1.500 NOK/day
– Halibut fishing in the Laxefjorden: The boat you rent will be stored in Eidsfjorden, approximately 30 km from the camp: 3 290 NOK extra/boat applies for trailing to Eidsfjorden. (Parking for the boat at floating jetty is included).
– Equipment for king crab fishing: 1.950 NOK/week
– Floating suit and deep sea fishing rod + reel: 1.970 NOK/week
Guided tours and other services:
– Fishing tour: Viking Explorer 34 feet, captain/guide included (max 6 persons + captain): 13.125 NOK/8 hours
– Fishing tour: Odd Tore 60 feet including captain/guide (max 12 persons + captain): 15.625 NOK/8 hours
– Deep sea fishing guide: 3.125 NOK/8 hours
– Fishing guide, mountain or river (for salmon): 4.370 NOK/8 hours + car transportation (only if needed) 625 NOK + 4-wheels terrain vehicle (only if needed) 1.750 NOK/person
– Boat TRAILING SERVICE: Move of boat to other harbor (two way): 1.650 NOK
Fridays during May 15 and – August 15 a common going through by a fishing guide is included for guests staying for one week!
Check in: Thursdays at/from 15:00 CET
Checkout: Thursdays at/no later than 12:00 CET
Reservation and deposits
Invoicing is made by Mieko Fishing, currency NOK (Norwegian kronor).
– If a reservation is made within 10 days of arrival, payment in full is required upon reserving.
– If a reservation is made outside of these 10 days, a 20% deposit is due at the time of reserving to confirm your reservation and balance due date will be 40 days prior to arrival date.
Reservation fee applies to all reservations: 200 NOK
The following assessments will apply for cancellations:
– Cancellation prior to 60 days from arrival date will result in no forfeit of deposit, the whole amount will be returned excepting reservation fee.
– Cancellation less than 60 days prior to arrival date will result in the forfeit of 100% of the deposit and the rest of the total amount will be charged.
– Cancellation fee applies to all cancellations, 550 NOK /cabin.